Friday

Lessons for You from the Book “Do You” by Russell Simmons

Chapter Nine: “You Can Never Get Before You Give”

“The possession of material riches, without inner peace, is like dying of thirst while bathing in a lake.” Yogananda

For me this has been a subject which led to small wars with some infopreneurs. I have always struggled with “pricing” or “fees” in trade for simple information.

How should you give from your heart and empower others with your services for a fee?
Geesh! Over the years I have seen valuable information being sold in a packaged price of $4000 on one side of town and the same info being sold for $150 on the other side of town. It was the same dang information.
Where is the balance?

When I ask this question among some colleagues, I notice everyone has a different answer. I believe it’s because they have made decisions that are right for their lifestyle. But I still can’t help but stumble at times trying to find my place within all the hustle and bustle of selling information.

In reading this book, chapter eight and nine spoke volumes to my soul. Yep, even with the urban lingo, Russell’s book allowed me think deeply about the balance and the fairness of my business.

Chapter Selection… “I want to make it clear that I’m not suggesting that there’s anything wrong with making money. How could I? I’m a business man by trade and I work hard to try to make sure that all my businesses are successful….However pilling up zeros in your bank account, or cars in your driveway, won’t in and of itself make you successful. Rather, true success is based on a constant flow of giving and receiving. In fact, if you look up affluence in the dictionary, you’ll see its roots come phrase meaning “to flow with abundance.” So in order to be truly affluent, you must always let what you’ve received flow back into the world.”

I feel comfortable in charging a fair price for my services. I know that others are charging way more; perceiving that more, means more value. Sometimes it does.
But for me, I will only charge what I would be willing to pay. I have noticed that by following basic fairness principles, my business is growing with a steady stream of clients who appreciate my efforts.

Chapter Selection… “Giving, not trading or selling is the basis of success. The most rewarding thing you can do is to give the world something good.”

Do what you love, charge what you feel is fair and share something really good with the rest of us!