Friday

Lessons for You from the Book “Do You” by Russell Simmons

Chapter Seven: “There Are No Failures, Only Quitters”

People quit because of their Achilles heel, metaphorically speaking.
I can’t tell you how many times I quit a promising new venture when I was younger.
Oh, I didn’t mind investing and working hard-- I still don’t. My Achilles heel was my concern with what other people thought of what I was doing. At that time, if a friend made a negative comment about an idea I was trying to bring realty, I would immediately give up. That was my method of operation with any business venture that I chose. What a mess, huh? But I bet you can relate!

What changed my destructive behavior?

My 1 minute old son was placed in extremely unsure arms. I knew at that very moment that I had to stop the nonsense and get serious. In an instant, it no longer mattered to me what anyone thought because quitting was not an option in my new life as a mom-entrepreneur.

Chapter Selection: “ …When it comes to courting success, I consider a “never-say-die attitude” to be more valuable than wealth, connections, or sometimes even talent. In fact, so many of my competitors were smarter than I was and had greater resources, but only got halfway down the road before they quit the first time that they stumbled.”

As my little one grew, he found his mom plucking away at her computer for hours... building her dreams one brick at a time. I stayed in front of my computer so much that my now 7-year old boy can type and download files as fast as I can! Okay...faster.

Chapter Selection “… As I said, resilience is one of the most valuable characteristics you can develop in life. Faith, dedication, compassion and hard work are good. But resilience is what makes them great. That’s because no matter how hard you are working, or no matter how great your faith is, at some point you are going to hit a wall. Whether you lead a successful life or not depends on how you deal with that wall.”

I chose to either step around or go through the walls as they come up.
It gets easier with a little practice. Now friends call me the bulldozer!


Do You!: 12 Laws to Access the Power in You to Achieve Happiness and Success