Monday

I Could Be Rich Just Like Her - Part One

Most women would agree that they are able to do an abundance of diverse things extremely well. Unfortunately, this ability can quite often lead to home business failure. Why is this? Well, let's look at my own journey as a direct sales rep to help find some answers.

In the past, I would first romanticize what my business could look like. Usually my vision was based on another woman's dream business and how I perceived her achievement of success. This woman was commonly someone I had met at a home show or heard about on television. For example, I know that my home baked cookies taste much better than Mrs. Fields cookies. I thought, "If I bake cookies and sell them... I could be rich just like her!" Another example would be the evening I saw a direct sales leader being interviewed on 20/20. Her commissions averaged 15 thousand dollars per month. Even though I didn't wear make-up, I knew lots of people who did. I said to myself, "If I join that company... I could be rich just like her! My clever way of Monday morning quarterbacking for home based businesses dragged on for a couple more years.

I would also tend to generalize my business model to serve the needs of everyone because in my mind the word "everyone" represented the phrase "all of the money". To share everything that my business offered to every single person that I met would also mean that I would never miss an opportunity to make money. EVER!

Thoughts of apprehension regarding the fact that there were hundreds of thousands of people offering my exact product never even entered my head. I knew that I had a reputable product and there should be a great demand for it. I figured that all I really had to do was advertise my product the same way the other reps did and the customers would come running. Then I could be rich just like her!

"I can do it all." I would chant to myself. "I can be an effective wife, mother, duaghter and friend, all while building my home based business. I can also add lots of stuff to my business so that there will be something to sell to everyone I meet. I'll save loads of money by designing my own sites, keeping my own books and handling all of my own advertising! Then I KNOW I will be rich just like..." Well, I'm sure by now you get my point.

This way of thinking became the crucial turning point for me. A turning point that has now defined who I am and what my passion is really about, something that has allowed me to create a successful home career with a great income. That is ...once I realized that this way of thinking was the reason for the biggest business blunders of my entrepreneurial career!

Have you ever heard of the phrase, "Just because you can, does not necessarily mean that you should"? How about this one? "It's not for everybody".

Do you want to be rich just like her? Then we should take a better look at what she is really doing to make her fantastic income.

Next month, (March 7th, to be exact) I will share her secrets with you!