Thursday

Lessons for you from the book “Do You” by Russell Simmons

Chapter One: See Your Vision and Stick with It

What I want to share from this is: Stick with your vision of your business no matter what happens or what others say about it.

In this chapter Mr. Simmons shares why and how he started Phat Farm Fashions; the dreams, the struggles and the triumphs.

Selection:
“….those hurdles were very difficult to get over. And I wont’ lie, there were many times I felt like the naysayers were right and should forget the whole thing. But I couldn’t let go of my vision. It was so clear; I could see the end result in my mind before I even started to work.”

I’m sure you can relate to this particular excerpt.
Just the other day I was told empathically that this was not the time to start a new business. I have to admit, the words scarred the crap out of me, but I too could only see my fabulous end result. I know that all I have to do is stick with it.

Stick with it. It seems that may be the magic door to success that everyone is looking for. How many people do you know actually stick with something and see it through? Not many, huh? So maybe that’s why it’s so darn incredible when you encounter someone who actually fits your definition of success.

Selection:
“ Ultimately, it took me a long time to make Phat Farm profitable…. I spent six years busting my ass while I could hear people on the sidelines laughing at me, saying I was going to fail. But eventually, after all the struggles, we started to find our groove….And by maintaining its integrity… the Phat Farm brand has been able to keep growing. After ten years in the game, we were grossing close to $300 million a year...”

Wow! I wonder what those people on the sidelines are saying today.
Okay. I will admit that the line about him taking 6 years made me put the book down for a while. I kept thinking to myself that I really don’t want to spend 6 years or more trying to get it together. Then I realized that I have been in this industry for way more than 6 years and I am just now finding my groove. Duh.

I want you to think about your vision; how you can value and protect it.

One thing I do know: Integrity brings Clarity . Clarity brings Confidence.


Do You!: 12 Laws to Access the Power in You to Achieve Happiness and Success