Tuesday

Lessons for You from the Book “Do You” by Russell Simmons

Chapter Five: “Never Less than Your Best”


Selection: “…I know that seems painfully obvious, but there’s simply no way around it. Without a dedication to hard work, you’re never going to find any lasting success in life.”

It may seem tiring just to think about always doing your best, but to me it just means being present in the moment and being truly honest in my effort. It’s not about doing everything perfectly; it’s about committing to being genuine in your endeavors.

I used to feel like I was working hard because I was stressed all the time. Isn’t it funny how I assumed that hard work was a stressful behavior? But I realized in time that I was just another hamster on the wheel, tirelessly moving in a complete circle. The only thing I was working hard at was stressing about working hard. I was running inside that squeaky wheel; repeating the same toils day in and day out with no progression towards my goals of success.

Selection: “…The actual work that you do is what will change your life for the better. Worrying about that work will just slow your life down.”

I think a lot of people still struggle with the concept of hard work. But you don’t, right?

Selection: “…work your hardest on the job that is in front of you right now and don’t worry about the past or the future. The more you worry about the future, the less engaged you are in the work you’re doing today.”

It really is that simple.

Do You!: 12 Laws to Access the Power in You to Achieve Happiness and Success